Cargo Bike Advantages (Two Wheels)
- Lighter: With a smaller box and frame, the weight of the bike is less than a 3-wheeled option.
- Faster: Less weight and less friction from a third wheel allows for an easier and faster ride. Cornering can also be done at a higher speed than on a 3-wheeled cargo bike.
- Better on uneven surfaces and with road camber: It is a common misconception that a tricycle provides more stability when riding. On an uneven surface or on a slanted roadway or cycle path a 2-wheeled cargo bike provides more stability.
- Narrow: Most cargo bikes are only as wide as the handle bars of a mountain bike. This allows for the bicycle to maneuver through traffic and tight spaces with ease.
- Rides like your every day bicycle: The learning curve is low. The wheel base is slightly longer and changes your turning radius, but other than that, the balance of the bike is what you’ve always known.
- Low step over: Get on and off the bike with ease. This also allows for a large height range for the rider.
Cargo Trike Advantages (Three Wheels)
- Balanced loading: There is no need for a kickstand on a cargo tricycle. You can load your cargo with ease and not worry about having an unbalanced load.
- Shorter wheel base/tighter turning: Cargo trikes generally have a shorter wheel base which allows for a tighter turning radius compared to the 2-wheeled cargo bikes.
- Are easy to walk/push while loaded with cargo: Having the third wheel to help with balance, it easy to push a bike through a crowd while loaded with cargo.
- Balanced when stopped or moving slowly: When travelling at slow speeds, a 3-wheeled cargo bike is more stable than its 2-wheeled counterpart. When completely stopped it isn’t necessary to put your foot down to balance the bike.
- Larger capacity: The width of the front tires on cargo trikes allows for a larger box, increasing capacity and weight of the cargo that can be carried.
In addition to the above features, the Luxmea is the only cargo bike on the market that includes all the extra options in the purchase price: bug screen, rain screen, front and rear lights, bell, and padded cushions plus many other features.